Cancellations and No Show Policy
13 March 2020
As of this date we do remain open and are using extra care and hygiene measures for our guests. We will remain open until directives from the Moroccan government and health authorities state otherwise.
We are very aware that life, especially in the travel world, is constantly changing and in flux regarding the outbreak of this virus. Please know that we are doing our best to keep up with emails and inquiries from guests that have reservations with us. Our current situation follows;
- We are responding to emails and inquiries in the order of the reservations. If you are not booked until April, May or later please be patient with us.
- If you have travel insurance we kindly ask that you first file a claim with them to see what they will offer and cover as far as trip cancellation refunds.
- For those that have bookings in the next two weeks, we are offering a gift certificate that will cover the cost of your booking at a future time. While we know we will get through this difficult time, many of our vendors are very small business and we will be setting aside this money to help them in coming weeks and potentially months. When everything passes we (and they!) will be waiting to welcome you back to Marrakech.
- If your trip is more than two weeks away, and you are cancelling your plans now, please do consider a date change. We’re very happy to issue you a gift certificate in exchange for your booking that you can use at a future date. If you choose to do this, we will also be setting aside a portion of this to assist vendors in coming months (with the rest going towards your rebooked future tour).
Lastly, if your trip is scheduled for May or June, or later, we will be responding; however we ask you to please be patient and understanding as we work through earlier tours first.
Because we operate very small group tours it is very important that we have an accurate count ahead of time. When you purchase your ticket you have the option of including insurance on your ticket. This is offered by an outside company that we have partnered with. If you are worried that you may need to cancel your tour please review this and consider purchasing.
If your tour is under 2 weeks away and you need to cancel we can not offer you a refund or exchange. Please consider this when making your reservation.
No Show Policy
Our tours start promptly at the time noted on the ticket for both group and private tours. Our guides will wait an additional 10 minutes however after this time they will leave. There are no refunds or rebookings offered for no-show guests.