See a different side of Morocco on this full-day trip from Marrakech to the coastal city of Essaouria. Taste local food and immerse yourself in the culture.
- Ages 15+
- Group of 4 People
- Group of 3 People
- Group of 2 People
- Child Ages 5-14 • with 2 adults
Visit Ijoukak Valley from Marrakech
Drive to the heart of the Atlas Mountains, 100km from Marrakech, to experience a local meal and visit a village.
Your driver will pick you up from your Marrakech accommodation in the morning to begin your drive to the valley. Along the way you’ll get your first glimpses of the High Atlas Mountains, including snow-capped peaks depending on the time of year.
Arrive at your hosts’ home and take a short walk through the village to the family home. Enjoy a fresh breakfast of all local products before you take a long walk through the villages and valley (optional).
Before lunch, visit the historic 12th century Tin Mal mosque as well as see how clay tajines are made – and possibly try your hand at making them.
After you’ve worked up an appetite, return to the family home and dig into a delicious home-cooked lunch with seasonal products. Your driver will return to bring you back to Marrakech.
This experience truly gives you an opportunity to see life in a Berber village. Please be respectful of the locals who live here by dressing modestly and only taking pictures if you ask your host first.
Return time to Marrakech is in the evening between 5 and 7 p.m. depending on how long you walk and mealtime.
- A full-day experience in a rural Berber village including a home-cooked breakfast and lunch.
- Enjoy walking through the village and discovering how villagers live and provide for themselves.
- Visit the nearby 12th century Tin Mal mosque; an architectural wonder.
- See the simple craftsmanship that goes into hand-throwing tajines – and maybe even try it yourself!
- Enjoy a day spent in the peace and solitude of the mountains.